Without further ado, Shirley....
Hello again! Thank you so much for your response to my Leading Lady Take Two post last week. This week, I've been playing with dry embossing and debossing, and finding out what happens when you do it wrong ;)
I started by die cutting the Typecast: Cary Numbers Cutaways a couple of times. I didn't separate the numbers, just used the whole thing as a plate.
The next stage was to arrange the numbers randomly under some card, then run it through my machine with a rubber mat in place. Depending on whether you have the numbers face-up or face-down, you'll get an embossed panel or a debossed panel.
On this first card, the numbers are debossed, i.e. sunken. When I brayered chalk paints over the panel it left the numbers untouched by the paints. I stamped some cute little animals from Welcome To The Family With Evelin T Designs and die-cut them with the coordinating Cutaways die set. The sentiment is from the same stamp set. I watercoloured the images with colours that complemented the background panel.
On this second card, the numbers are embossed, i.e. raised. Using the same brayering technique, the numbers catch the paint but the area directly surrounding the numbers doesn't get any paint, leaving a halo effect. The elephant is from Big Hugs With Evelin T Designs, trimmed from his partner. He's standing on a bit of washi tape, and trumpeting his message from Sketchy Thoughts and coordinating Cutaways dies.
So. Fast-forward a few days, and I decided to make more cards with this technique. But I am a bear of very little brain, and I'd completely forgotten that I was supposed to use a rubber mat. So for card No. 3 I die-cut the In A Word: Baby Cutaway from card, placed it on another card panel, ran it through my machine, and wondered why it didn't look quite right. The debossing was nowhere near as deep as the numbers had been. I brayered paint over it, but because the depth isn't there, the word isn't as clearly defined. I was going to throw it away, but I liked the grungy effect, so here's what I made with it:
And here's my final card for today. Still in the vein of getting it wrong, I can't even tell you how I did this! But I ended up with an interesting effect:
The textured imprint is from all the scratches on my well-used cutting machine plates! Here's the full card:
I mounted the offending panel onto white card, added some washi tape at the top, a strip of lace at the bottom, and the sweet little elephant from Welcome To The Family With Evelin T Designs.